I am Polar Bear

Barbara H & Fuck Buddies' MP3 blog ||| Most of the artists we post MP3 files of don't make a living out of music, please support them by buying their records and going to their shows. if you're an artist or a label whose music i've posted and want it to be removed, just send me a message, files in question will be instantly deleted.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

I'm not American so I don't know much about the historical or geographical references in Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, which happens to be about Illinois. My girlfriend went to Chicago for what would be a hectic month on this side of the atlantic so i find it funny. She told me there was a Pulaski street in Chicago but i had no idea who Casimir Pulaski was until i googled the hell out of him. He was a Polish who fought Russians and Prussians and ended up meeting Benjamin Franklin in Paris and then led the fight against the English army in the then quite young USA.
I'm guessing Casimir Pulaski Day's point is: even though you have a funny name, and if you manage to live through highschool, you can end up being someone so important that, a couple of centuries after your death, some guy will write a song about you. Or maybe it's about being Polish. Either way, Illinois is an awesome record.

sufjan_stevens_-_casimir_pulaski_day.mp3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home